The earliest Jewish religious services in the Woodmont area or in the town of Milford of which we are aware, were held in the summer of 1920 in the home of Rabbi Yehuda Heschel Levenberg (then regarded as the Chief Rabbi of New Haven) on Soundview Ave. between Hillside and Edgefield Avenues. Over the next few years, there was an active fund to raise money for a synagogue building. By 1926, sufficient funds had been collected and in July of 1926, the synagogue was incorporated. Benjamin Rosenthal of Meriden donated the land on the corner of Edgefield Avenue and the short street that crossed it which was later named Benjamin St. in his honor. Architect Charles A. Abramowitz was enlisted and the project carried out by builder Jacob Schiff. By the summer of 1927, the building was completed and ready for occupancy at 15 Edgefield Avenue. The first officers were Samuel Eskin, president; William Alderman, secretary; and Harris Hoffman, treasurer. Although there were no dues, contributions were solicited, enabling the synagogue to pay its bills. (In subsequent years, dues were established at $3 per person, and increased until 2000, when the price was established at $20 per person. Today the synagogue does not charge for membership.) The synagogue prospered during the remainder of the 1920s and through the 1930s. Services were held in July, August, and beginning of September. Shabbat services were led by the members and were well attended with 30-50 people on Friday nights and 50-75 on Saturday mornings. Services were also held on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings, but getting a minyan was difficult. Weekday minyans were frequent but sporadic and usually held when someone had a yahrzeit or kaddish. In the early years, High Holiday services were held if Rosh Hashanah was in the first half of September, but not if it was later because children had to return to school after Labor Day. Even for those without young children, it was cold in the uninsulated and unheated cottages and synagogue by late September and early October. When High Holiday services were held, often a rabbi or cantor was hired for the occasion, but some years, services were led by the congregants.